Silence is Not an Option!
In the past 2 weeks, we have witnessed the country coming together to show outrage for the senseless killing of George Floyd. He was murdered and it was heartbreaking to watch. This particular killing of an innocent black man at the hands of police only showcases what has been happening in this country for many years.
Chicago Inter Handball club is committed to leading by example. We take pride in representing a diverse team that consists of players from all around the world, and this is the time for action in support of our fellow black neighbors. In doing so, we pledge our support in speaking out. We stand together with those fighting for justice through peaceful protest across the country, and around the world. We challenge you to take action and stand up for social justice.
Here are a few actions you can each consider today to do your part:
- Educating yourself on the history of how the justice system was built and how people are treated differently because of the color of their skin. We recommend that you watch the following: 13th, Kalief Browder Story, and When they See us.
- Research Redlining, Gentrification, the Civil Rights Movement, and the NAACP.
- Educate your family, friends, and loved ones. Have those difficult conversations.
- Speak up when you hear racist comments, racist jokes, or see racist actions taking place.
- Use your social media platform for advocacy.
- Join in one of the many peaceful protests taking place around the world.
- Read the following article and follow the action steps listed: https://medium.com/equality-includes-you/what-white-people-can-do-for-racial-justice-f2d18b0e0234